The FLAME project has reserved more than 2 Million Euros for Open Calls!!!
Part of FLAME’s 3rd party investment strategy, open calls are being held to help FLAME create an exciting, creative and vibrant FMI ecosystem.
The main objective of the open calls is to capture the needs and insights of potential 3rd party stakeholders. To do this, the FLAME platform will be opened to allow industry, SMEs and start-ups to conduct experiments in FLAME’s real-life experimental infrastructures and gain insight into the performance, acceptance and viability of their solutions. The platform will also be expanded and replicated by three selected FLAME Replicators, which are research and innovator actors that will replicate the FLAME infrastructure at other locations (FLAME is right now being deployed in Bristol, Great Britain and Barcelona, Spain) providing more capacity for experimentation.
TOWARDS NEW MEDIA EXPERIENCES
To support this goal, over two million Euros will be disbursed to 3rd party organisations via three rounds of open calls. This is a unique opportunity to explore the viability of new media workflows and highly localised content delivered using adaptive software-defined infrastructures. Improve experience for consumers, reduce complexity of service development, reduce cost of personalised on-demand content, and become creators of digital innovation. Don’t miss your chance!
The 1st round of open calls will be announced and opened in April 2018 and will target industry and SMEs trials. The 2nd round will target SMEs and aspiring FLAME replicators, and will open around October 2018, with the last round targeting industry, SMEs and start-ups opening in April 2019.
The selected 26 projects (23 experiments and three FLAME replicators) will be provided with an open call package which will include a full set of reference materials for applicants, including training/briefing material and a “Guidance for Applicants” pack. Each 3rd party experiment will be assigned a mentor responsible for understanding the needs of the experiment, translating them into technical requirements for the facility, making recommendations for upgrades or amending the facility in order to run the experiments, coaching the experimenter during execution, and following-up the experiment results.
The first Open Call will include:
2x Industry Trials
- 12 months, 130,000 EUR/ea
- Large scale and significant sectorial impact
4x SME Trials
- 6 Months, 70,000 EUR/ea
- Innovative OTT media technologies, ISPs and Vendors
- Players in the multimedia and creative industries as well technology providers and investors
- SMEs/Start-ups technologically involved in the development of multimedia solutions and products
- From the second Open Call (November 2018), FLAME replicators which will be supported in the planning process creating the plans and visions for a city and in the replication of the FLAME platform itself
The provisional timeline
- The 1st Open Call will begin late March/early April 2018
- Proposals are expected to be submitted by the end of May 2018
- Proposals are expected to pass a feasibility check run by the consortium – more details will be provided Q1 2018
- Winning proposers will be expected to start their experiments at the beginning of July 2018
The most up-to-date information can be found here: check back or follow @ICT_FLAME on twitter for the latest information.
Be part of the Media Ecosystem Revolution!
More details and information will follow soon.
Sign up to the FLAME newsletter